We have some new eye candy from the Texas Rangers, as the team has released updated Globe Life Field renderings in anticipation of the new ballpark’s opening for the 2020 MLB regular season.
These renderings, courtesy of the Rangers and ballpark architect HKS, show Globe Life Field from both the northeast and southeast corner, with the roof open. As of today construction of the new ballpark is 72 percent completed, with work ongoing on the 5.5 acre retractable roof. The final section of the second retractable truss was installed last week. The second truss was moved to its parked position on Wednesday.
Here are some facts about the ballpark construction, courtesy of the Rangers:
- There are a total of five retractable roof trusses. Steel work for the retractable roof is expected to be complete by the end of October.
- The east fixed roof truss was decentered last week, allowing the truss to completely carry its weight.
- The roof will use a total of 19,000 tons of steel. Roof construction started in late fall 2018, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2019.
Additional Roof Work
- Planar trusses are complete on both the east and west side of the ballpark. Steel infill was completed last week.
- Metal decking and roofing is complete over the west portion of the ballpark. Decking on the eastern portion is 80% complete.
- Eight of 20 total bogies, the housing for the wheels and motors for the operable roof, have been installed. Four more bogies will be installed next week. The bogies weigh 114,028 pounds each.
- Concrete work is ongoing on the service level of the ballpark, including the hyrdrotherapy pool area and batting cages.
- Poured on-site concrete is complete in all areas with the exception of the service level.
- Restrooms and showers have been tiled in the home clubhouse areas.
- Drywall is 75 percent complete in the ballpark. Drywall on the club and concession areas is currently in progress.
- Cabinets have been installed on the Founders Suite Level.
- Carpentry work is ongoing on the exterior suite areas.
- Concession and restroom tile work on all levels, including the suite level, is ongoing.
- Installation has started for the retractable glass on the lower suites.
- Granite and Lueders stone work is ongoing on both the interior and exterior columns of the ballpark. Brick work is ongoing on the interior columns.
- Construction is ongoing on the southwest entry, one of five main entry gates to Globe Life Field. Concrete columns were completed earlier this week and steel work has started.
- Glass installation on the north side of the ballpark is ongoing.
- Preliminary air conditioning function has been established in limited areas of the ballpark, including the service level and lower concourse. Air function was also established in the office building this week.
- Seat rails are in the process of installation on the main concourse.
Some fast facts about the new ballpark. First, HKS is the design architect for the project, and Manhattan Construction Company is the construction manager. Approximately 1,400 workers are on-site daily. The new 1.8 million square foot ballpark is located on 13 acres just south of the current Globe Life Park in Arlington.
RELATED STORIES: Globe Life Field to Feature Daktronics’ Show Control System; Globe Life Field Design Will Put Fans Close to the Action; Rangers Set Globe Life Field Opening for March 23; New Globe Life Field Details Released; Globe Life Field to Feature Nine LED Video Displays; Here’s to One Last Hurrah at Globe Life Park; Rangers Weighing Affordable Globe Life Field Seating; New Globe Life Field Renderings Released; Rangers Exploring Reduced Concession Prices at Globe Life Field; It’s Official: Globe Life Field Will Feature Synthetic Surface; Will Globe Life Field Feature Synthetic Surface?; Globe Life Field: A Lure for Free Agents?; Rangers, Arlington Planning Elaborate Globe Life Park Redevelopment; Globe Life Park Set to Host XFL in 2020; New Globe Life Field Model, Renderings Released by Rangers; Rangers Plan Intimate Globe Life Field Design; Rangers Release New Globe Life Field Renderings; Rangers: No Decision on Globe Life Field Playing Surface; Globe Life Field Construction Making Progress; Rangers Planning Globe Life Field Seating; Rangers Considering Natural Grass Playing Surface at Globe Life Field; Time-Lapse Camera Installed at Globe Life Field Site; College Football at Globe Life Field Discussed; Ground Broken on Live! by Loews-Arlington; Rangers Break Ground on Globe Life Field; Concerns Expressed Over Globe Life Field Design; New Texas Rangers Ballpark Renderings Released; AT&T Stadium Refinanced to Help Pay for Globe Life Field; Rangers Secure $600M in Financing for Globe Life Field; Globe Life Retains Rangers Ballpark Naming Rights