We’ll take a break from our MLB ballpark previews to present the latest extreme offerings from the Akron RubberDucks (Class AA; Eastern League), certainly one of MiLB’s leaders on the concessions front.
The team unveiled a host of new menu items, as well as two extreme items: Joining the menu this season are the Notorious P.I.G. (shown at the top of this page) and the Yardbird.
The Notorious P.I.G. starts with two fried pork tenderloins as the bun, filled with a stack of pulled pork, pecanwood smoked shoulder bacon, and maple honey mustard sauerkraut slaw. It will be available for $15 at the Bier Garten concessions stand along the first-base concourse.
The Yardbird (below) is a healthy portion of turkey, bacon, apples, arugula, and honey-whipped cream cheese, sandwiched between two warm apple fritters. The Yardbird will be served at The Game Grill & Bar for $12.
The Game Grill + Bar will again be open on gamedays two hours prior to the scheduled start time and remain open through games. The Game has an all-new menu designed by Canal Park’s Executive Chef James Phillips. The new menu features a variety of sandwiches and wraps, flatbread pizzas, soups and salads, sweets and snacks, as well as upscale twist on traditional ballpark favorites such as hot dogs and burgers.
“Chef James Phillips is a great addition to our team,” said Director of Food & Beverage Brian Manning. “He has created an outstanding new menu at The Game and the two new Extreme Foods Menu items are the best I have had since I started with the franchise in 2013.”
Six new items at The Game Grill + Bar were featured at today’s unveiling in addition to the new Extreme Foods Menu items:
- Cleveland Polish Boy ($10) – Toasted sub roll with beef kielbasa, french fries, coleslaw, and tangy barbeque sauce.
- Mediterranean Veggie Flatbread ($11) – Oven roasted seasonal vegetables topped with roasted a garlic and parmesan sauce, mozzarella and feta cheeses, and a basil pesto drizzle.
- Mega Fries ($12) – Cajun fries topped with BBQ beef brisket, cheddar and asiago cheeses, roasted red peppers, scallions, and garlic aioli.
- Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich ($11) – Fried chicken breast on a toasted sub roll, topped with white American cheese, ballpark pickles, leaf lettuce, and bacon buttermilk ranch dressing.
- Turkey Club Salad ($8) – Chopped romaine lettuce with cucumbers, oven-roasted turkey, croutons, and bacon buttermilk ranch dressing.
- Waffle Waffle Fries ($8) – Waffle-battered sweet potato waffle fries with powdered sugar and maple syrup on top.
Canal Park also will have new items on the Summa Health Healthy Selects Menu at the Bier Garten concession stand—hummus & pretzels, a fruit cup, and assorted vegetables & ranch dressing.
Additional new concessions items include:
- Fried Mac N Cheese Bites at Taters
- Cannoli at Godfather’s Kitchen
- Cookie Sundaes at Sock Hop
- Specialty Hot Dog Toppings at Dog Pound
Over the years, the RubberDucks Extreme Foods Menu has attracted national attention with staples such as its Nice 2 Meat U Burger and Pineapple TeriyAKRON Bowl. Last season’s big addition, The Squealer, will again be available in The Game Grill + Bar for $12. The Squealer features a half-pound hot dog stuffed with pulled pork and cheddar cheese, wrapped in bacon, then deep-fried and drizzled with barbeque sauce.
The rest of the Extreme Menu includes several fan favorites such as the full-sized batting-helmet sundae, The Screamer, the Three Dog Night, and 2015’s big hit, the Not Your Routine Poutine. =