Construction of the upcoming Globe Life Field is approximately 75% complete, as work continues to open the retractable-roof ballpark for the Texas Rangers in 2020.
As the 2019 Major League Baseball season winds down, construction continues on what will be the league’s newest ballpark when it opens next spring. On August 16, the Rangers and ballpark architect HKS released updated renderings of Globe Life Field–showing the facility from both the northeast and southeast corner, with the roof open–and the team stated that the venue was 72% completed.
Additional progress has been made since, as ballpark construction is approximately 75% complete, according to information released today by the Rangers. Here are some facts about the ballpark construction, courtesy of the Rangers:
- Installation of the third retractable roof truss is in progress. The second section of the third truss was installed on Monday. The third truss will be completed next week.
- There will be a total of five retractable roof trusses to complete the 5.5 acre roof. Steel work for the retractable roof is expected to be complete by the end of October.
- The roof will use a total of 19,000 tons of steel. Roof construction started in late fall 2018, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2019.
Additional Roof Work:
- Planar trusses are complete on both the east and west side of the ballpark.
- Metal decking and roofing is complete over the west and east side of the ballpark. (The image above details the east side decking, as shown from the field level)
- Twelve of 20 total bogies, the housing for the wheels and motors for the operable roof, have been installed. The bogies weigh 114,028 pounds each.
- Lower bowl precast is 75% complete and is expected to be complete by the end of September.
- Concrete work is ongoing on the service level of the ballpark, with completion of the concrete construction in the home clubhouse areas expected this month.
- Poured on-site concrete is complete in all areas with the exception of the service level.
- Construction on the interior brick arches, located on the north concourse, is 75% complete.
- Restrooms and showers have been tiled in the home clubhouse areas.
- Drywall is 75% complete in the ballpark. Drywall on the club and concession areas is currently in progress.
- Cabinets have been installed on the Founders Suite Level and Legacy Suite Level. Cabinetry work for both the classic suites and office building is ongoing.
- Carpentry work is ongoing on the exterior suite areas.
- Concession and restroom tile work on all levels, including the suite level, is ongoing.
- Installation of retractable glass on the lower suites is 40% complete.
- Glass is complete on the south and west portion of the ballpark. Glass installation on the north side of the ballpark is in progress.
- Grade work is ongoing on the southeast, east and west side of the ballpark.
- Granite and Lueders stone work is ongoing on both the interior and exterior columns of the ballpark.
- Construction is ongoing on the southwest entry, one of five main entry gates to Globe Life Field. The canopy was set last week and brick and limestone will be installed starting next week.
- Preliminary air conditioning function has been established in limited areas of the ballpark, including the service level, lower concourse and office building.
- Concession fronts, including countertops and overhead doors are in the process of installation. Kitchen equipment is being set throughout the building.
- Seat rail installation is complete on the main concourse seating bowl. Installation on the upper level seating bowl started last week and is ongoing.
- Restroom fixtures, including toilets, and sinks, are in process of installation.
- Plumbing, HVAC & Electrical work is ongoing.
- 13 escalators have been installed on-site. Five of 24 total elevators are in the process of installation.
- The four-story office building, located on the southeast side of the site, is 85% complete.
- Bowl steel was completed in mid-February, using a total of 16,000 tons of steel to construct. The final piece was installed on the upper concourse area of centerfield, the northeastern portion of the site.
- The bowl steel construction started in June of 2018, taking nine months to complete.
In addition, the team released a construction photo (shown above), showing the progress of the east side of Globe Life Field from a field level view.
Some fast facts about the new ballpark. First, HKS is the design architect for the project, and Manhattan Construction Company is the construction manager. Approximately 1,400 workers are on-site daily. The new 1.8 million square foot ballpark is located on 13 acres just south of the current Globe Life Park in Arlington. Globe Life Field is currently expected to open in March 2020. The Rangers are scheduled to play an exhibition game there against the St. Louis Cardinals on March 23, before facing the Los Angeles Angels in the regular-season home opener on March 31.
Image courtesy Texas Rangers.
RELATED STORIES: Rangers Release Updated Globe Life Field Renderings; Globe Life Field to Feature Daktronics’ Show Control System; Globe Life Field Design Will Put Fans Close to the Action; Rangers Set Globe Life Field Opening for March 23; New Globe Life Field Details Released; Globe Life Field to Feature Nine LED Video Displays; Here’s to One Last Hurrah at Globe Life Park; Rangers Weighing Affordable Globe Life Field Seating; New Globe Life Field Renderings Released; Rangers Exploring Reduced Concession Prices at Globe Life Field; It’s Official: Globe Life Field Will Feature Synthetic Surface; Will Globe Life Field Feature Synthetic Surface?; Globe Life Field: A Lure for Free Agents?; Rangers, Arlington Planning Elaborate Globe Life Park Redevelopment; Globe Life Park Set to Host XFL in 2020; New Globe Life Field Model, Renderings Released by Rangers; Rangers Plan Intimate Globe Life Field Design; Rangers Release New Globe Life Field Renderings; Rangers: No Decision on Globe Life Field Playing Surface; Globe Life Field Construction Making Progress; Rangers Planning Globe Life Field Seating; Rangers Considering Natural Grass Playing Surface at Globe Life Field; Time-Lapse Camera Installed at Globe Life Field Site; College Football at Globe Life Field Discussed; Ground Broken on Live! by Loews-Arlington; Rangers Break Ground on Globe Life Field; Concerns Expressed Over Globe Life Field Design; New Texas Rangers Ballpark Renderings Released; AT&T Stadium Refinanced to Help Pay for Globe Life Field; Rangers Secure $600M in Financing for Globe Life Field; Globe Life Retains Rangers Ballpark Naming Rights