We’ve seen teams give away tombstones and funerals before, but the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (Class AAA; International League) are going the extra six feet by giving away a full funeral to a “lucky” fan.
“The best fans in Minor League Baseball deserve the opportunity to win a once-in-a-lifetime giveaway,” said IronPigs General Manager Kurt Landes. “Unquestionably, this is the most highly-coveted ‘out-of-the-box’ promotion in IronPigs history.”
“I am thankful that the IronPigs organization has afforded me the opportunity to assist a deserving individual with financial aid, personal guidance and professional care during a most critical time,” added Reichel Funeral Home owner Kevin Reichel.
The IronPigs and Reichel Funeral Home have teamed up to provide the following funeral essentials, valued at $7,500, for the winner:
- A casket.
- Professional services of funeral director and staff.
- Body removal and preparation (embalming or cremation).
- Use of facilities and services for viewing (visitation/wake), funeral ceremony, Memorial Service and graveside services.
- Vehicle to transfer remains to Funeral Home along with Hearse for cemetery transfer.
In addition to the offerings provided by Reichel Funeral Home, Northampton Memorial Company will provide a complimentary headstone (valued at $1,500) and Richmar Florist will offer a casket spray of flowers (valued at $300).
Fans can register by submitting an essay of 200 words or less that describes their ideal funeral and why they feel they will, eventually, be deserving of the free funeral. All essays must be received by July 31, 2013 for consideration. All entrants must be present at the Tuesday, August 20 game to be eligible to win.
There are two ways to submit your essay and register:
- Email email@example.com with your essay and along with your contact information (Name, Phone and Address).
- Submit an essay and your contact information (Name, Phone and Address) to: CELEBRATION OF LIFE, Coca-Cola Park, 1050 IronPigs Way, Allentown, PA, 18109.
Other teams have given away funerals before; the Eau Claire Express (summer collegiate; Northwoods League) have one on this year’s promo, and the Green Bay Bullfrogs (summer collegiate; Northwoods League) gave one away two seasons ago.
RELATED STORIES: Sea Dogs honor inevitabilities of life with tombstone promo
Share your news with the baseball community. Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a subscriber to the weekly Ballpark Digest newsletter? You can sign up for a free subscription at the Newsletter Signup Page.