The York Revolution (independent; Atlantic League) is reveling in one of the seven deadly sins this season — gluttony — with a ballpark promotion that calls for seven innings of competitive eating wrapped into a single event.
The seven deadly sins, of course, are wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony, and we’re guessing most of those sins are committed nightly at many ballparks. But the Revolution front office is truly tempting fate with a May 11 promo at Santander Stadium, the 7th Inning Stretch Marks Challenge, where up to 12 fans will have the opportunity to eat their way into Revolution lore.
The rules are simple. At the beginning of the game preselected fans will be seated in the Dietz & Bluett Insurance Diamond Deck behind home plate and served a unique food item at the top of each inning. The contestant must finish the item before the next inning begins and a new item is served, otherwise that person is eliminated. Each portion will be larger than the last as the competition continues, through the 7th inning.
Contestant or contestants who finish the 7th Inning Stretch Marks Challenge will be awarded a $50 Revolution gift card, and if one of the winners so chooses, will be provided with “CoolScultping non-invasive reduction” courtesy of the Revolution. Each contestant that drops out will be awarded a gift card, with the value going up by $5 for the longer a contestant stays in the competition, beginning at $10 for the first to tap out.
Here is what’s on the menu for Gluttony Day:
- First Inning, Pulled Pork Hot Dog: A Hatfield hot dog topped with pulled pork and coleslaw on a Stroehmann Bun.
- Second Inning, Pretzel Twist Nuggets: Pretzel nuggets topped with chocolate syrup, caramel, peanut butter and pecans.
- Third Inning, Bricker’s Fries: A mound of crab-seasoned fries, covered in Nacho cheese.
- Fourth Inning, Chocolate Éclair Funnel Cake: A Savory’s funnel cake with vanilla pudding, chocolate syrup, whipped cream and a cherry on top.
- Fifth Inning: Little Caesars: Pizza! Pizza!…and more pizza.
- Sixth Inning: Soul Burrito: A burrito with rice, beans, corn, salsa, melted cheese, lettuce (see, vegetables!), nachos, steak and sweet and spicy sauce. This burrito is 18 inches long and weighs eight pounds.
- Seventh Inning: The “Big Daddy” Burger: A triple cheeseburger, topped with bacon, with two Maple Donuts as the bun.
No word on whether antacids will be served in the eighth inning.