We have the five finalists for the name of the new Worcester team in the summer-collegiate Futures League, beginning play next season at Fitton Field.
- Worcester Bravehearts — an homage to Worcester’s brave men and women in uniform serving locally and abroad as well as a reference to “the Heart of the Commonwealth”
- Worcester Canal Diggers — a reference to Worcester’s industrial history where scores of Irish immigrants dug the Blackstone canal through the region
- Worcester Freight Trains — a reference to Worcester’s proud past and present operation of locomotives
- Worcester Mighty Caseys — a nod to the “Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888” poem written by Ernest Thayer on Chatham Street in Worcester
- Worcester True Blues — meaning “unwaveringly or staunchly loyal, especially to a person, a cause, etc.; the real deal” and a reference to Worcester’s pride and blue collar heritage
RELATED STORIES: Futures League lands Worcester ballpark lease; Worcester aims for 2014 ballpark deal; Wolff: We want to be back in Worcester in 2013; Atlantic League: Big plans for 2014 and beyond; Multiple groups interested in Worcester market; Can-Am League revokes Breighner’s membership, takes over Worcester market; Small crowd sees Tornadoes’ last home game; Breighner: Tornadoes are in good financial shape; League may take over Tornadoes; Tornadoes locked out of offices, team shop; More financial woes for W-Tornadoes: team uniforms seized; Canseco sues Worcester Tornadoes over unpaid salary; Indy teams fighting over Canseco?; Canseco signs with Rio Grande; misses first game; Jose Canseco files for bankruptcy; Jose Canseco resurfaces, this time in Worcester
Share your news with the baseball community. Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a subscriber to the weekly Ballpark Digest newsletter? You can sign up for a free subscription at the Newsletter Signup Page.