The six finalists for the moniker of the new Pensacola team in the Class AA Southern League, slated to begin play in 2012, have been announced by the franchise, as the best of 1,700 submissions are unveiled.
The finalists, in alphabetical order:
- Aviators. Home of the “The Cradle of Naval Aviation,” Pensacola is the primary training base for America’s Navy, Marine and Coast Guard aviators, as well as the Navy’s precision-flying team, the Blue Angels.
- Blue Wahoos. Named for the explosive way they pull out of the water, Wahoos are a tough hometown fish that means business.
- Loggerheads. Found in Pensacola’s shallow waters, the loggerhead sea turtle is a local endangered species. Known for its nesting on Pensacola beaches, the loggerhead is state saltwater reptile of Florida.
- Mullets. Double meaning here: the haircut and one of Pensacola’s most popular fish.
- Redbones. This ties into the upcoming affiliation with the Cincinnati Reds.
- Salty Dogs. Another naval reference, this time to expert sailors.
Fans may vote for their favorite name at the Pensacola News-Journal website now through May 14. The winning name will be announced on May 23.
Share your news with the baseball community. Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribers to the weekly Ballpark Digest newsletter see features before they’re posted to the site. You can sign up for a free subscription at the Newsletter Signup Page.