The Arizona Diamondbacks are marking 20 years in Phoenix with a season-long celebration that includes a commemorative logo, throwback uniforms, special events and a selection of an all-time D-Backs team.
“Though we are the youngest franchise in Major League Baseball, we are fortunate to already have a rich history of success both on and off the field that connects us deeply with our fans,” said D-backs President & CEO Derrick Hall in a press statement. “From our six postseason appearances and a World Series championship to the $55 million given back to our community and nearly the same amount of fans having come through our turnstiles, we look forward to sharing these memories and creating new ones in 2018.”
Voting on the all-time team has begun; you can vote here.
A commemorative patch, featuring the logo shown above, will adorn the team’s jerseys throughout the season and caps during the first homestand.
The “D-backs 20th Anniversary Experience,” a 2,000 square-foot exhibit at Chase Field, located on the Main Concourse in right field behind the Coors Light Strike Zone, will feature historic artifacts, memorabilia and photography celebrating the team’s history and a wall featuring baseballs signed by nearly all D-backs players and coaches; the Experience will also include a showcase of the team’s 2001 World Series championship and each Silver Slugger, Gold Glove and Cy Young Award won by a D-backs player.
Here’s what the Diamondbacks have on tap, per a team press release, throughout the season.
An Opening Weekend celebration including:
- Opening Day (March 29), featuring a ceremonial first pitch from members of each D-backs Postseason team.
- 20th anniversary reusable bag (March 30) given to the first 20,000 fans courtesy of MLB Network.
- The actual 20th anniversary of the team’s first game (March 31), to be played against the same opponent (Colorado Rockies) and featuring a pregame ceremony that will replicate the original first pitch from Andy Benes to Jorge Fabregas, with Mike Lansing at bat. Sam Moore, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and part of a group that sang the National Anthem on Opening Day in 1998, will perform the Star Spangled Banner; the team will also wear a throwback jersey and cap honoring the inaugural game.
- The first 20,000 fans will receive a 20th Anniversary Replica Jersey, courtesy of Chase.
A celebration of the D-backs All-Time Team on Aug. 4, including:
- A commemorative t-shirt featuring members of the All-Time Team to be given to the first 20,000 fans in attendance.
- A pregame ceremony honoring the 16 members of the D-backs All-Time Team.
- The annual Alumni Game, presented by Sanderson Ford, to be played prior to the game against the Giants.
Throwback Thursdays, presented by Chase, in which the D-backs will wear the uniforms of their inaugural team and six Postseason teams while highlighting those years:
- April 19 (1998 home uniform), May 3 (1999 Purple Alternate uniform), May 10 (2001 Home Vest uniform), June 14 (2002 Home White uniform), July 5 (2007 Home White uniform), Aug. 2 (2011 Red Alternate uniform) and Sept. 6 (2017 uniform)
- D-backs Authentics will be selling the jerseys and caps worn as part of Throwback Thursdays throughout the 2018 season. Fans can visit D-backs Authentics at Section 134 or shop online at dbacks.com/auctions.