There’s no doubt Billings is a great baseball town, and fans showed their love of Dehler Park, home of the Pioneer League’s Billings Mustangs, by voting it the winner of the annual Best of the Ballparks vote for Rookie-level facilities.
In the annual bracketed vote for all Rookie-level ballpark in the Pioneer League and Appalachian League, fans chose Dehler Park over Suplizio Field, home of the Grand Junction Rockies, in the final round of voting by a 78%-22% margin.
“There’s such a rich baseball history in Billings, and Dehler Park is a large part of that history,” said Kevin Reichard, Ballpark Digest publisher. “That history is reinforced by the statues of Dave McNally and Ed Bayne outside the ballpark, and with a family-friendly atmosphere inside for Mustangs games, it’s a perfect match for the Billings market.”
“The Mustangs are so proud to be a valued part of the Billings community and to represent Billings and champion Billings within Minor League Baseball, so we could not be more pleased to accept this award on behalf of this great community,” said Mustangs’ owner and managing partner Dave Heller. “This has been a championship season, with a playoff team playing in an award-winning ballpark in the best community beyond the Mississippi. This is an award everyone in Billings can really enjoy and celebrate!”
“With a great view of the Billings rimrock, the delicious Stang Burger and a convenient downtown location, Dehler Park offers one of the most pleasant experiences in all of Minor League Baseball,” Reichard added. “The Mustangs are one of the top draws in all of Rookie ball, and Dehler Park is a big reason why.”
Over 130,000 fans voted in the Best of the Ballparks 2016 competition. Ballpark Digest readers were asked to select their favorite ballpark in a bracketed tournament over five rounds. Here are the rankings used to launch the vote.
1. Melaleuca Field (Idaho Falls Chukars; PL)
2. TVA Credit Union Ballpark (Johnson City Cardinals; AppL)
3. Dehler Park (Billings Mustangs; PL)
4. Lindquist Field (Ogden Raptors; PL)
5. Pioneer Park (Greeneville Astros; AppL)
6. Burlington Athletic Stadium (Burlington Royals; AppL)
7. Calfee Park (Pulaski Yankees; AppL)
8. Ogren Park at Allegiance Field (Missoula Osprey; PL)
9. Suplizio Field (Grand Junction Rockies; PL)
10. Centene Stadium (Grand Falls Voyagers; PL)
11. Hunnicutt Field (Princeton Rays; AppL)
12. Hunter Wright Stadium (Kingsport Mets; AppL)
13. Bowen Field (Bluefield Blue Jays; AppL)
14. Boyce Cox Field (Bristol Pirates; AppL)
15. Kindrick Field (Helena Brewers; PL)
16. Legion Field (Danville Braves; AppL)
17. Brent Brown Ballpark (Orem Owlz; PL)
18. Joe O’Brien Field (Elizabethton Twins; AppL)
Here are the brackets for the Rookie vote:
Click on the image for a larger version.