Texas Tech announced a $5 million upgrade to Dan Law Field, as the school will install shading, new chair-back seats, ten suites and a new gated entryway to the mix.
The renovations will be totally funded with private contributions to the baseball program.
“This is a tremendous day for Red Raider Baseball,” said director of athletics Kirby Hocutt. “We are extremely grateful for the support of our private donors, and it is their contributions that will make Dan Law Field one of the top collegiate baseball facilities in the nation.”
The most notable structural improvement will be the removal of the current suites and press box. This structure will be replaced entirely and will feature 10 luxury suites each with seating for 12, a new press box complete with radio and television broadcast areas and a new club level with outdoor seating for 75 individuals.
A new shading structure will cover the area in the center portion of the grandstand and will rise above the new suites and press box. This shading structure will be directly overhead 1,154 individual chair-back seats that will be installed at Dan Law Field for the first time in the history of the stadium. Prior to this renovation, the entire seating area has consisted of aluminum bench seating.
Five additional rows of field seating will be added directly behind home plate and will bring fans closer to the action than ever before. The first row of seating will rise just 30 inches from the playing surface compared to the seven foot wall that is currently in place behind home plate. Additionally, a state-of-the-art tensioned back-stop netting system will be put in place to protect fans from foul balls and will allow unobstructed views of the entire playing field.
Fans will enter the stadium through new iron gates that will stand just beyond a circular landscaped seating area with a brick inlaid Double T. This dramatic entrance will lead Red Raider fans past several newly installed grandstand banners that will showcase the history of Texas Tech Baseball.
Construction is scheduled to begin following a groundbreaking ceremony to be held June 24 at 10 a.m. The grandstand portion of the structural improvements is scheduled for completion by Feb. 15, 2012.
Images courtesy of Texas Tech.
DAN LAW FIELD RENOVATION FACTS & FIGURES
- Cost of Renovation: $5 million (private funds)
- Architect: MWM Architects, Lubbock, Texas
- Contractor: Will be hired upon completion of design
- Total Seating Capacity: 4,921
- 10 Luxury Suites (12 seats per suite)
- Club Area with outdoor seating for 75
- Restrooms For Club/Suite Patrons
- 1,154 chair-back seats
- Television broadcast booth, home and visitor radio booths and booth for written press
- Shading structure over center of grandstand
- Tensioned back-stop netting that will provide unobstructed view of the playing field
- Additional five rows of field seating that will be closer to home plate
- New elevator for club/suite/press box access
- Grandstand banners showcasing the history of Texas Tech Baseball
- Circular landscaped seating area with brick inlaid Double T
Share your news with the baseball community. Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribers to the weekly Ballpark Digest newsletter see features before they’re posted to the site. You can sign up for a free subscription at the Newsletter Signup Page.