Top Menu

Tag Archives | fire

Small fire damages Miller Park

A fire in Miller Park’s Friday’s Front Row Sports Grill will cause minor changes to game-day operations for tonight’s Milwaukee Brewers game. The fire, which began in the left-field Friday’s Front Row Sports Grill kitchen and made its way through that corner of the ballpark via ductwork, started around 2 a.m., with fire crews immediately […]

Continue Reading

Whitecaps unveil 2014-2015 ballpark improvements

Turning some lemons into lemonade, the West Michigan Whitecaps (Low Class A; Midwest League) ownership unveiled ballpark improvements for this season and next. The improvements for this season addresses the portion of the ballpark damaged by a January fire, which damaged the first-base-line concourse and the home clubhouse below. The new concourse concession space will […]

Continue Reading

Fifth Third fire brings back memories of past ballpark blazes

Ballpark fires are extreme rare these days, but at one time were a major threat to baseball operations. Jesse Goldberg-Strassler looks at how ballpark design changed because of fire awareness. On January 3, a fire significantly damaged Fifth Third Ballpark, home of the Midwest League’s West Michigan Whitecaps. Thankfully, no one was injured.  Photographs of […]

Continue Reading

Did sprinkler failure contribute to Fifth Third Ballpark fire?

The potential failure of a sprinkler system may have contributed to the fire Saturday at Fifth Third Ballpark, home of the West Michigan Whitecaps (Low Class A; Midwest League), as fire officials and insurance investigators determine exactly what happened. Investigators are focused on the potential failure of the sprinkler as a contributing factor to the […]

Continue Reading

Pfitzner Stadium hit by fire

A fire broke out at Pfitzner Stadium, home of the Potomac Nationals (High Class A; Carolina League), sending one employee to the hospital and damaging team offices. The fire was limited to the team’s second-floor administrative offices. At first a gas leak was reported to the local fire department, but by the time they arrived […]

Continue Reading