Behold, the power of hermit-crab lovers: the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs (independent; Atlantic League) will placate protesters with a temporary name change and more hermit-crab delight on Opening Day.
The whole kerfuffle began when the team announced its April 24 Opening Day celebration would include a giveaway of live hermit crabs and terrariums to the first 1,000 fans. After a public response — which, according to the team, was evenly split between pro-giveaway and no-giveaway sentiments — the team decided to embrace the lowly hermit crab in a revised Opening Day game plan:
- For Opening Day, the team name will be changed to the Southern Maryland Hermit Crabs.
- To honor this historic name change, the Hermit Crab players will don special jerseys saluting the loveable crustaceans. The Hermit Crab jerseys will be auctioned off with all proceeds from the jersey auction presented to the Hermit Crab Association. Fans are encouraged to learn about the group’s hermit crab rescue efforts by visiting hermitcrabassociation.com.
- Members of the Hermit Crab Association will be invited to throw out the Opening Day ceremonial first pitch. There will also be opportunities for hermit crab activists to speak to fans in attendance about the pros and cons of keeping domesticated hermit crabs.
- The team will be celebrating this event by giving away plastic hermit crab figurines to the first 1,000 fans through the gates of Regency Furniture Stadium that evening.
- The team will also be hosting an all-you-can-eat crab feast in the stadium picnic area during the game. Fans will be able to enjoy all-you-can-eat crabs, macaroni salad, hot dogs, chips, and soda for just $40 per person. Tickets are available by calling 301-638-9788 or logging on to somdbluecrabs.com.
- Exclusively available to Hermit Crab advocates (everyone!), the team is offering a specially priced ticket of just $10 for the game on April 24. Advocates can take advantage of this great deal by logging onto the official website of the team usually known as the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs at somdbluecrabs.com. To redeem this exclusive promotion, enter the promo code “FREETHEHERMIT” at checkout.
After Opening Day the team will return to its original Southern Maryland Blue Crabs name for the remainder of the season.
“The last two days have not only shown me that there is a large group of Hermit Crab enthusiasts but also that they happen to be some of the most passionate people that I have ever encountered,” said Courtney Knichel, assistant general manager of the Southern Maryland Hermit Crabs. “Being able to dedicate our biggest game of the season to this tiny, loveable animal really solidifies what Crustacean Nation is all about!”
RELATED STORIES: Blue Crabs alter hermit crabs Opening Day giveaway