Today’s sad video: the demolition of Cardinal Stadium, former home of the Louisville Redbirds (Class AAA; American Association).
The facility, known as Fairgrounds Stadium when it opened in 1955, was home to pro baseball in Louisville between 1982 and 1999, when the team moved to Louisville Slugger Field and adopted the Bats moniker in 2002. It’s a huge place, a 47,000-seat football stadium where 19,000 baseball fans were crammed into one end of the facility. Over the years it’s served as home to University of Louisville football; since the team moved to Jim Patterson Stadium, the facility has been used mainly for concerts at the Kentucky State Fair and horse-related expositions.
Here’s a video showing demolition of the bleachers: